Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

Thank goodness no trick or treaters again this year - we did not even buy any candy. But being Halloween we had to get out the girls' pumpkin hats. They were a gift from Emily Duke, a lady that goes to church w/ my parents. The bibs are from my mom. When we got the hats, I did not think we'd be able to use them on Halloween since we were not expecting the girls until next month!



The thing to do here in Charlottesville is to dress up the kids and take them out to the lawn at UVa. The lawn is surrounded by the Rotunda and some prestigious dorms where you have to be somebody to live there - they have wood burning fireplaces in each room. I think you have to go outside to go to the bathroom though... but I digress... The point is that the place is overflowing with parents and kids and I heard that the students are told to buy around $300 worth of candy each to have on hand. It is a Charlottesville tradition. I met w/ some folks in my Mothers of Multiples group Monday night and they were talking about going to the lawn and what their kids were going as this year. I guess if we are still in C'ville we will be out there with those crazy parents. At least we live close so we would not have to worry about parking.

We had a nice Halloween here at home though. A lady from our church brought us some fried chicken for dinner. And some guys came out to fix our furnace so we have heat now. Peter could not get the pilot lit the other day so the landlord came by yesterday but it would not stay lit for him either. He also brought us a big gift basket w/ lots of goodies. :) It was fun watching the heating and cooling guys try to fix our ancient furnace. Peter said they had to take it out from under the house and clean it out 3 times before it would work. They said it must have come over on the Mayflower.

Fortunately we have a space heater for the girls so they've been nice and toasty this whole time. But now I won't be cold when we get up to feed them. I'm happy to hear the clanging and popping of the furnace again. And I'm enjoying the gift basket too, except I made myself sick today from all the peanuts and chocolate I've been eating out of the basket. Maybe I could have used some trick or treaters after all. I would have not eaten so much chocolate, and I would not be eating so many Tums right now! Tomorrow I'll eat the fruit. Isn't that always the last thing to go out of gift baskets?

1 comment:

Carol and Harry said...

I printed a picture to give Emily -- she'll just love it.
Love you all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, tomorrow!!
Love, Mama