Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I won an award today!

Well, though I have never been a scientist, I still remain active in the world of crystallography. I just found out today that I won first place for the 2007 Art in Crystallography competition of the American Crystallography Association. So I will have this art and a picture of me on display at the ACA meeting in Salt Lake City next month. This should do well for more name recognition for Peter. (People ask him, "Where have I heard your name before? Oh that's your wife!" But they find out he's actually the scientist so not a bad thing...) He is actually chairing some sessions and is a speaker at this meeting. Hopefully he'll be able to go - still nailing down those plans - and accept the prize for me. (Oh and do the work he's supposed to do in the first place - I guess that's also important.)
This was a design for the last Christmas card we sent out from Dr. Wang's lab at UGA. He told me to enter it in this contest, and I was like, "but it's just our Christmas card..." Well, now I've won so I guess he had the right idea. Although there are several other entries that I think are more along the lines of "art" - see http://aca.hwi.buffalo.edu/HotNews/ArtEntries2007.htm. So I will get free registration (though I'm not attending) and a "small monetary award" of an amount unspecified. I thought it would be tacky to ask if it is large enough to pay for a ticket to Salt Lake City - probably not.

2 comments:

Carol and Harry said...

Second try at leaving a comment --
Congrats on the award -- the card is really pretty -- and neat -- does the stuff on it have any scientific meaning??
Hope y'all and the twins are doing good -- can't wait to see y'all in July!!
Love you, Mama

Aunt Janis said...

Lisa, I'm excited that you have started the blogspot. I'm looking forward to keeping up with the goings-on in VA with you, Peter, and the twins!

Congratulations on award! The card is great!
Love, Aunt Janis